Preliminary Method of Works / March 2002 - Demolition of Telephone House
The Method of Works is part of the Health and Safety Plan, Method Statement and Risk Assessement
for Demolition , Reclamation and Associated Works
Telephone House, Church Road, Tunbridge Wells
The document had been made available by CALA Homes on 12.04.02. THNA made CALA Homes (South) aware that the Inspector's conditions were not taken into account.
METHOD OF WORKS
North side of the structure.
- In principal, our intention is to commence and complete the demolition work's in two phases progressively commencing and completing each section of work before commencing the next.
- The five-storey building will be progressively demolished commencing the work at the centre section of the North external wall the building will be progressively demolished from roof to ground level moving from side to side in a Southerly direction towards the South boundary finishing with the South external wall.
THNA: Contrary to the Inspector's Appeal Decision (p.6 - para 29, July 2001),
the case officer's report to the Western Area Planning Committe (October 2000) and
the common sense of Arthur Mann, Planning Director, CALA Homes (meeting 12.04.02)
- this document suggests that demolition traffic goes via York Road.
All remote methods demolition work are to be carried out by a 360 degree hydraulic excavators having a medium reach booms fitted with all necessary implements to include a pulveriser, grapple and a crusher/cutter. All machines are equipped with baffles, lined compartments and silenced exhausts to reduce the machines operating noise level to within or lower than the regulated decibel levels to comply with the Statutory noise restrictions. Regular maintenance and component replacement ensure all machine exhaust emission levels are equal to or lower than the statutory environmental requirements. Independent hoses or spray devices built into the excavators' tool attachment will apply light water sprays to the specific operating areas.
- If required and necessary, demolition work that is to be carried out within two metres of other structures that are to remain will be carried out by hand held methods. Specifically the South section of the West facade that is to be retained for incorporation into the new build structure(s).
- Before any work commences our intention is liaise with the Client / Employer - Cala Homes ( Southern ) Limited to ensure that the site is secure on all the boundaries to prevent unauthorised access, providing adequate protection and warning signs as required.
- As necessary and where required, erect additional Heras fence panels, warning signs and all necessary protection measures primarily in the form of timber protection boards forming screens, debris netting and sheets.
- During the working hours of the of each day a gate Marshal will posted to prevent unauthorised access into the project site area and to control the access and egress of machines and site operatives.
- When required and as necessary a Banksman and/or Banksmen will attend during the arrival and departure of all site plant, vehicles and equipment.
- Erect independent scaffold frame structures to suit the full height of the existing building facade of the West and East external walls returning by a minimum distance of two metres along the North and South external walls. The structure will include debris netting and all other protection measures deemed necessary for the deflection of loose demolition arisings and the suppression of dust migration.
- Before any work commences Wooldridge Ecotec Limited will liaise with the Client/Employer - Cala Homes ( Southern ) Limited to ensure that all necessary disconnections of service supplies from main service have taken place.
- Physically re-check that each service supply has been disconnected before carefully removing all disconnected pipes, wires, cables and ducts etc., Where required provide all necessary protection to any existing structures that are to remain. Provisionally in the form of plywood sheets with soft wood timber support.
- Remove asbestos-based materials as described in method statement item Asbestos and Waste Removal 1 to 10.
To be carried out by L C H Contractors Limited. In strict accordance to they're method statement (see appendix F). Note all assignment notes and disposal facility receipts will be kept as proof that the correct method of disposal has been strictly adhered to.
- Strip all the building internally of all loose fixtures and fittings, example doors, linings, non-supporting walls etc., as well as all loose debris. As necessary remove site rubbish and debris.
- If required and as necessary access to the internal high level working areas will be via the use of a mobile working platforms with hand braked wheels. Note the safe working load (SWL) of the platform will not be exceeded.
- During the progress of the stripping out work all the window frames and glazing panels will be carefully removed. An area below each window will be cleared designated as a temporary drop zone. The complete window frame and glazing will be removed from its opening, lowered to the external ground level directly below and processed (as necessary) placing the arisings directly in to an awaiting waste bin before being removed from the project site area for subsequent disposal.
- Following these activities all of this five storey building remaining structure will now be completely demolished to the ground floor slab level, including the reinforced concrete structural support system inclusive of roof, floor, concrete staircases, beams and columns, the external facing brick cladding system, the internal walls. To be carried out by remote methods using a 360-degree hydraulic excavator having a high reach boom to be adapted to take all necessary implements, thus ensuring that the risk to manual working operatives is minimal.
- The building will be demolished floor by floor progressively working from the
The existing concrete floor structures will be designated as a drop zone area. The selected sections of the building walls will be carefully pulled into the specific work site area and be allowed to drop onto the drop zone below.
Break up and remove concrete the ground floor slabs, foundations, underground obstructions and external hardstanding areas. Grub up, pulverise and deposit on spoil heap in readiness for the Clients future use or removal from site. Reduce any remaining wall structures to ground level leaving the retaining walls of the basement structure in place together with all adequate buttressing structures i.e. raked walls. Note if required and as necessary. In the critical areas the external wall(s) will be reduced in height by five courses at a time for the full length of wall and working from inside the site boundaries. Form drainage holes in the concrete basement floor slab spaced at one metre incriminates in both directions forming a grid pattern. As necessary, back fill and compact to existing ground levels with non-deleterious material basement voids created by the ground work demolition.
As necessary, back fill and compact to existing ground levels with non-deleterious material all ground voids created by the ground work demolition. To be carried out by remote methods using a 360 degree hydraulic excavator, adapted to take all necessary implements, thus ensuring that the risk to manual working operatives is minimal.
The exception to items describing demolition operations by remote methods will be the demolition of building structures that are in close proximity of project site and all other structure that are to remain. This work is to be carried out by fully trained operatives, using hand held methods, the correct equipment and tools with all necessary guards. All appropriate personnel protection equipment and clothing will be used and worn, commensurate with the work task in hand.
Generally All Works
- As the works progress, visual monitoring will take place, to ensure the safety of all those working within the project site area. All arisings will be stacked neatly in preparation for removal from the site.
- Remove arisings from the site as the works progress. All debris will be cleared whenever practicable and upon completion the site will be left clean and tidy for inspection and handover.
- The arisings will be removed as the works progress and load into the waste container of waiting vehicles. The vehicles are to be attended at all times they will be fully loaded upon arrival and depart immediately when full.
- A banksman will attend to assist as necessary. All debris will be cleared when ever practicable and upon completion the site will be left clean and ticly for inspection and handover.
- All project site security measures will be maintained and protected during the contract period.
- Reverse site set up procedure and leave site.
RISKS and HAZARDS - ASBESTOS
Asbestos and Waste Removal
Wooldridge Ecotec Limited have been informed that asbestos - based materials are presently exist within the existing building structure in the form of;
Chrysotile - trace content - ( Chrysotile. 00 - 010%)
Chrysotile - medium content - (Chrysotile. 05 - 25%)
Chrysotile - significant content - (Chrysotile. 20 - 30%)
Amosite - trace content - (Amosite. 00-010%)
Amosite - medium content - (Amosite. 05 - 25%)
Amosite - significant content - (Amosite. 20 - 30%)
Specifically - Asbestos insulation lagging. See Method Statement, Removal of Asbestos-based material - Appendix E.
A specialist contractor (licensed) L C H Contractors Limited will remove all asbestos-based materials from the site before any stripping out and demolition work commences.
L C H Contractors Limited will be instructed to prepare a separate method statement this work. The method statement is attached to this document in Appendix E.
Demolition and Construction of Telephone House site, Royal Tunbridge Wells
CALA Homes' Preliminary Scheme of Works, March 2002, was not submitted to Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
CALA Homes' Scheme of Works (1st) was refused 9 September 2002
CALA Homes' Scheme of Works (2nd) was refused 25 November 2002
CALA Homes' Scheme of Works (3rd) was approved 24 December 2002
CALA Homes Revised - THIRD Scheme of Works for the Demolition and Construction of Telephone House
Is CALA Homes really going ahead with THAT scheme?